The mission of the International Pension & Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA) is to promote knowledge, discussion and development of pensions and benefits law among its members and more widely, by providing educational tools and resources and establishing networking opportunities that bring together international pension and benefits lawyers working in academic, institutional, private practice and corporate settings.
IPEBLA's aims include:
- The promotion of greater understanding of the legal relationships between pension and employee benefit plan sponsors, participants, administrators, funding agents, fiduciaries and regulators.
- Assistance to lawyers and other legal professionals in learning about developments in pension and employee benefits law and design in different countries.
IPEBLA seeks to accomplish its mission and these aims through:
Global conferences that are both educational and enjoyable
Its quarterly journal, teleconferences, and biennial comparative survey
Its website with a members’ Discussion Forum, archived conference papers and membership directory
Membership world-wide for lawyers engaged in pensions and employee benefits law – whether in practice, industry, government or academia
IPEBLA, a Dutch non-profit organization constituted under the laws of the Netherlands, with members in over 30 countries, was formed in 1987 to bring together lawyers and other legal professionals throughout the world with a practical interest in the legal aspects of pension schemes and other employee benefit arrangements. IPEBLA held its first international conference in 1987 and now holds conferences annually.
IPEBLA is founded on a history of cooperation among:
- The UK Association of Pension Lawyers
- The Pension Working Group of AIDA (Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances)
- Netherlands Association of Pension Lawyers
- American Lawyers active in the the American Bar Association
- Canadian Lawyers active in the Canadian Bar Association
- The Law Council of Australia
- The South African Association of Pension Lawyers
- Lawyers from many other countries, including: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bermuda, Brazil, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Namibia, New Zealand, Portugal, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland and Zambia.